Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Inkwell Eyes

I remember the exact moment I met her
her small hand held tight by her uptight mother
her dark eyes looked like inkwells
filled with the sorrow that will write her story
her short wavy hair hugging her face close
doing what her mother wouldn't

I don't remember what her mother looked like
all I remember is in those eyes
she held a sadness no 5 year old should know

we were both at the grocery store
she was being dragged around by her mother
she seemed to be more of an accessory than a joy
and it showed in the way her mother ignored her
jabbering away on her cell phone, like a jittery bird

her loose clothes draped on her hanger shoulders
covering the fragile skin pulled tight across her ribs
and the bruises that paint her porcelain skin

her posture screamed to me
"look at me. save me"

I dream of her often
wishing I could have taken her under my wings
the fragile child she was...

No comments:

Post a Comment