Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Poems from an early morning awakening....

The Heart of Things
by Brigitta Beam


why is it a heart that represents love?
why not a gallbladder or a lung?

no, those would not do

no organs in this bloody intricate body
are good enough or
pretty enough to represent such a thing as love.

but why the heart

that speeds in beat upon the entrance of
that one person or
the one that slows in pace when
we mourn the loss of someone near and dear to us

why does the brain not represent love?
that is where love is based
where the reaction comes from

but the brain isn't pretty enough to do the job either
its just a wrinkled mass
inside your skull processing
thoughts
feelings
emotions

so why does the heart represent love?

is it because it seems to be
the one place we can physically feel a reaction
the one place where we feel
emotional sickness
joy
love
pain

but even so the heart
that represents love
looks nothing like the heart
that beats inside of you
because, well that one looks too much like an organ...



Dreams at My Fingertips
by Brigitta Beam


awoke with a poem on my lips
bursting at the seams
thoughts of love never far from my mind
and words bouncing about in my skull
keeping the dreams at bay
but creating a dream world in my fingertips
these spastic moments come once in a while
some at inopportune times
like when I am trying to sleep
but the poet in me can't miss these moments
with the pen in my hand
because, well, I don't want the words
to make it to another poets head
jealous you say
no just trying to keep my creative oyster fresh
opening and closing it when the mood suits it
and leaving me sleepless and warm
but content
because I have formed thoughts into
words
sentences
paragraphs
only to run out again until the next go
so here is the dreamland of my fingertips
reminding you dreams aren't just for sleeping
dream often
return to your dreamland frequently just as I am going to mine now...

No comments:

Post a Comment